Learn to make these 3 quick and yummy Hari Raya recipes, featuring Rendang prawns, Bubur Pulut Hitam and almond cornflakes cookies with cranberry bits!
- 1kg tiger prawns, cleaned
- 500ml coconut milk
- 110g toasted Coconut Paste, also known as Kerisik
- Salt and sugar, to taste
- 1 Turmeric leaf, sliced
- 1 Handful Kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 1 Mak Nonya Ready Made Spice Paste
- Combine prawns, spice paste and coconut milk into a pot and simmer for 30 minutes or until the broth is almost dry.
- Lower heat and stir in toasted coconut paste. Season with salt and sugar.
- Add leaves and stir well before turning off the fire.
|Toasted Coconut Paste||$1.25|
|Kaffir Lime Leaves||$0.90|
|Mak Nonya Ready Made Spice Paste||$1.95|
Bubur Pulut Hitam
- 400g black glutinous rice
- 250g palm sugar, shaved, also known as Gula Melaka
- 10 cups of water
- 10 Pandan leaves, knotted
- 2 cups of coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Pandan leaves, knotted
- Rinse glutinous rice and soak overnight in a large pot of water.
- The next morning, drain and add 10 cups of water in the pot with glutinous rice. Bring to boil, add pandan leaves, and reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add gula melaka in between and stir until melted, or until rice is soft but still has a chewy texture. Remove from heat.
- Heat coconut cream with pandan leaves over low heat. Add salt, and stir till coconut milk thickens.
- Drizzle over prepared glutinous rice, and serve.
|Black Glutinous Rice||$2.95|
Almond Cornflakes Cookies with Cranberry Bits
- 150g butter
- 75g sugar
- 150g flour
- 60g cornflakes
- 25g almond strips
- A drop of vanilla extract
- Sprinkle of dried cranberry bits
- Mix butter and sugar together, followed by the flour in gradually.
- Add cornflakes, almond strips and a drop of vanilla essence into mixture.
- Shape with a spoon, and arrange onto mixture and place the cranberry bits on top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 163°C till golden.
|Dried cranberry bits||$0.20|
Looking for more Cooking Recipes?