Learn to make these 3 quick and yummy local favourites, featuring Nasi Lemak, Chicken Satay and Chendol!
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 small pack of coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups of water
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Few pandan leaves
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- Roasted peanuts (optional)
- Fried ikan bilis (optional)
- Fish otah (optional)
- Banana leaves for plating (optional)
- Sambal chilli (optional)
- Add water, salt, sugar and lemongrass to coconut milk and set aside.
- Wash and drain rice.
- Pour coconut milk mixture onto rice and steam rice in rice cooker.
- Serve on banana leaf with condiments on the side.
Chicken Satay – 12 Sticks
- Skinless chicken thigh 250g (Deboned)
- Satay sauce
- Satay sticks
- Cucumber, cut into pieces (Optional)
- Pineapple, cut into pieces (Optional)
Marinate Ingredients – Optional (but recommended)
- Dark soya sauce 3 tbsp
- Light soya sauce 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil 1 tbsp
- Greek yogurt 3 tbsp
- Fine sugar ¼ cup
- Salt 1 tsp
- Cumin powder 2 tsp
- Pepper a dash
- Vegetable oil ¼ cup
- Cut chicken thigh into thin slices. Use the back of knife to cut fiber of chicken thigh into strips.
- Thread chicken strips on satay stick.
- Pour marinate mixture onto chicken satay sticks and ensure fully coated. Marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200-degree Celsius (roasting with fan). Apply oil and roast chicken satay on each side
for 5 minutes.
- Serve with cucumber and pineapple (optional).
|Dark soya sauce|
- Coconut milk 250ml
- Ice cubes 100 grams
- Gula Melaka 120g (chopped)
- Pandan Chendol jelly
- Palm seed (“attap” seed)
- Red beans / kidney beans / ready-sweeten red beans in can
- Sugar 5 tbsp
- Mix 250ml of coconut milk, 100g of ice cubes and 120g of Gula Melaka and blend well.
- Wash and drain kidney beans. Pour kidney beans into a pot, then add 5 tbsp of sugar and 100ml of water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Pour mixture into glass, then add chendol jelly, attap seed and kidney beans.
- Ready to serve.
*If using ready Adzuki bean in can, no need to cook.
Looking for more Cooking Recipes?