Radish is a food that is not easy to love, even with adults! Give radish a chance and cook it creatively to make them popular with your kids. It is high in vitamin B, calcium and contains good amount of fibre. Combined with wholemeal flour, it can be steamed to be eaten as a snack or as a meal with other well-balanced dishes.
Robert Radish approves!
Steamed Radish Cake
- 570g radish, shredded
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked and chopped
- 10 pieces dried mushrooms, soaked and chopped
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- In a large pan over medium heat, add shredded radish and water
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove from heat and transfer into a large mixing bowl to cool (include cooking water produced)
- Add 1.5 tbsp oil into the pan and stir-fry spring onion, garlic, mushrooms and dried shrimps. Remove from heat to cool.
- Add rice flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt and pepper into mixing bowl with radish
- Mix until well incorporated
- Add cooked mushroom mixture
- Mix everything together and let it sit for 15 minutes
- Give batter a final stir and transfer into a loaf pan with parchment paper. Steam for 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for half an hour
- Remove from pan and slice into 1 cm thick slices
- In a pan over medium heat, add 1/2 tbsp of oil
- Pan-fry radish cake slices until both sides are golden and crispy
Ingredients for Dipping Sauce:
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
Directions for dipping sauce:
- In a small mixing bowl, combine everything together
- Serve and enjoy with freshly steamed radish cake!
Find more nutritious and kids friendly recipes here!